Sunday, November 1, 2009

Revisiting Goals

I'm a Type A Virgo. This means I'm very motivated by setting and achieving goals. This fits in very neatly with my professional life as a fundraiser. For the past 8+ years, I have a set of metrics I need to achieve, and I go after it. Most times I make it, sometimes I don't, but it's a great measurement and motivational tool.

Of course, I try to apply this to my personal life as well. A big goal I've been working on this year is being healthier. Of course, goals need to be SMART: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely. So on New Year's Eve, I translated it into getting minimum 20 minutes of exercise a day. It started out as a challenge to see how many days I could go straight. I made 49. Not bad for starters!

Then in March, one of my fellow Jr. League board members shared her outlook. She works to be active 300 days a year. I thought that wasn't bad, especially since by then I'd missed a few days. 65 days off is realistic. So that became my new goal.

As the year progressed, and I took on new responsibilities in my volunteer life, I made some further adjustments. 15 minutes was the new minimum (what equals a Weight Watchers activity point), and I started allowing walks across campus to meetings and errands count if it totaled that or more.

Then I had my toe injury on July 4. I had to be OK with accumulating a lot of days towards that 65 for a while.

So here we are with 2 months left in the year. I'm at 60 days off. I don't think 5 days off for the rest of the year is reasonable (though I will still try!) so have decided maybe 75 would do. Still not bad compared to other years, I am sure.

Another specific goal I find I'm having to tweak is to run a 10k by the end of the year. When I set that goal on New Year's, I didn't know I was going to be asked to serve on the Jr. League board this year, a role I love but does take some of my time I might have used for training (or more likely, playing online!). The leadership experience I am gaining is worth the trade off. I didn't know I was going to have the injury. I didn't think about the days where sometimes, my body just wanted me to rest.

With only the Turkey Trot left in 3.5 weeks and running just half that distance being a challenge right now, I may be revisiting this goal as well. I am rediscovering a love for walking. I'm not saying I'm giving up running, but I may put this distance on hold. If I can get back into the swing of good, regular activity (not just the 15 minute walks across campus), maybe I will train for a distance walk, like the Avon 3-Day Breast Cancer one in April. Then I could tackle the longer runs again.

I think the biggest thing I have learned is that it is OK to change your goals based on what happens along the way. That it doesn't represent defeat, but rather, growth in self-awareness. And that's a goal I didn't even set out to accomplish.

1 comment:

  1. Two immediate thoughts:

    1. Good for you to step up to a 300 day challenge. I like it -- I think that'll be something I'll take up in 2010 so thanks muchas for sharing. VERY inspirational.

    2. The best part of this blog is the last paragraph. You are very right. Goals are just that ... and changes are very real and normal and SO much a part of self awareness.

    GO YOU for sharing yourself. Keep it up; it's sticky ;)

    ReplyDelete