Monday, August 15, 2011

10 before 35 ...

I like to set goals. And I like to work hard to accomplish them. So with my next milestone birthday about a year and two weeks away...it should not be a surprise that I've been thinking about things I'd like to accomplish before then.

While I've been working hard on living in the moment and enjoying what is happening WHEN it is happening, turns out that anticipation is not such a bad thing for my spirit. This article I read in the New York Times discusses just one of many studies that show the anticipation of an event, such as a vacation, leads to an increase in happiness. No wonder I'm Polly Positive...I'm ALWAYS looking forward to SOMETHING!

So what do I want to get done before 35? It's a mix of things I've never done, always wanted to do, and some regrets that I didn't do them sooner. There's so much to say, I'm going to unveil new ones about once a day during the weeks between now and my birthday. So pull up a chair, friend, and enjoy my Top 10:

1. Finish a half marathon. I have been running on and off since 1999, but seriously since summer 2007. I finished my first 5k in spring 2008 (thank you Power in Motion!), my first 10k in 2009 ... and wanted to do this sooner (as well as a full by 35) but injuries forced my plans to change. I have registered for the Houston Half in January 2012 and am on week 4 of training.

2. Watch a Saints game in person. I'm getting this done Saturday! The Saints take on the Texans in preseason play here in Houston. I ultimately want to see them play in the Superdome ... but this will have to go on the before 40 list. Just too much going on with a possible move, and I'm hoping the Cougars will go bowling around the holidays! I am going to see the Cougars play in the 'Dome ... so I'm doing the two parts separate, I suppose. Have to leave something for the next list, right?

3. Finish "the Buddy book." In 2003, when I was working for the Lake Charles American Press (my brief fundraising hiatus), I covered a visit from the Sweet Potato Queen (her ownself), Jill Connor Browne. Her speech inspired me to start writing a book that very night on the lessons I was learning as a dog owner (Buddy, after all, is my first). I wrote four lessons and stopped. I wanted an even dozen, and had ideas for 11 total ... when a few months back, now 11-year-old Buddy inspired idea #12. I'd like to finish this before he turns 12, even if no one else reads it. I love to write, and just reading the chapters I've done will be such a great memento to have when he's gone.

4. Compile photo albums & scrapbooks. I have meticulously collected most newspaper articles I wrote for The Daily Cougar, the Houston Chronicle, and the Press...as well as photos dating back pretty much my whole almost-34 years. These have lived in boxes, or bags. It's time to get them into books to enjoy. Sooner rather than later, thanks to possible move.

5. Write our wills and include planned gifts. Yes, it may be morbid, but I've learned in my line of business, every adult should have a will. Don't you want a say in what happens to your possessions (and for those of you with kids, your people), if the unthinkable happened? Just because we are still fairly young, you just never know. It's the best way to make sure your wishes are met. This is a lengthy process and may not finish by that birthday, but we'll start making plans and of course, I want to be sure to include some favorite charities. As well as my desire for an Irish Wake and a Jazz Funeral ... now you all know I want to go out with a bang!

6. Zip line over land. I regret not doing this when in Kauai for my parents' 30th anniversary in 2007. I zip lined over water at Xel-Ha this summer and it was awesome. I want to get over my fear and do this.

7. Import all my CDs into iTunes. Not exciting, but I want to finally digitize all my music. It's 2011. I need to get with the program, especially now that I own an iPhone.

8. Climb an indoor rock wall ... or go skydiving. I am still undecided here. I've never climbed a wall, and this would be pretty easy to do at the UH Rec Center. But I passed up the chance to skydive in 1998 and now am regretting it. I was features editor at the Cougar ... and was offered to do it for an article. The week of, I chickened out ... Adam went in my place and I shot photos. At the time, I wasn't sorry, but now I am. So I'm leaning towards that. It would be fun to do as a group!


9. Fit back into the "Heart Gala dresses." I have two dresses I only wore once and haven't worn in 5-6 years. I definitely want to get into the black strapless one with red and white flowers I wore to the 2005 Lafayette Heart Gala ... would be a perfect outfit for the UH Alumni Awards Gala in April. Bonus would be to fit in the strapless teal one I wore to the 2006 Northwest Houston Heart Ball.


10. Help build a Habitat house. I have been a fan of Habitat for Humanity since I covered the Houston Superbuild as an intern for the Chron in summer 1998 (I even was called on by President Carter at the press conference to ask him a question!). I have always wanted to work on a house build. Therefore, I plan to organize a group to do so in spring 2012. Leadership Houston Class XXIX, I'm looking at you for help!

Stay tuned to see how much I actually achieve ... just the thought of all the possibilities has me super happy!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment