So about 3 weeks past the day of The Big 3-5...it's time to 'fess up and talk about how I did on my birthday bucket list. If you'd like a recap of why I set some of these goals, check out the blog from last year when I started the adventure:
1. Run a half marathon-Done in January. Now I'm gearing up for my second in Arizona in Jan. 2013!! Let's see if I can improve my time.
2. See a Saints game live-Done last August. Next, I want to see one in the Superdome. I've seen a Cougars game there, but not quite the same! I did also discover a great app to listen to games live while I run.
3. Finish writing the Buddy book-I did not finish this one. Buddy passed away last September. I just haven't been able to bring myself to write the rest. But I have been journaling and writing some other projects, so that makes me happy.
4. Finish assembling photo albums and scrapbooks-half done. Finished the albums in September (thanks LL!) and started the scrapbooks in November. Haven't touched them since the Thanksgiving holiday. Maybe this Thanksgiving! It was fun reading some of my old newspaper writings.
5. Write my will and include planned gifts-half done. I have met with my lawyer (2 days pre-birthday, cut it close!) and shared my wishes to include my alma maters. Now it's her turn to write :)
6. Zip line over land-Done. Did this at Lost Pines last month. Soooo fun I will totally do it again!
7. All CDs into iTunes-Done in January. Enjoyed more of my library running the half, and now in my new car! Digital is the way to go. Glad I got organized.
8. Climb an indoor rock wall or go skydiving-Done. Did a wall at Lost Pines, outdoor but same concept. Also still have a certificate to skydive good until next July so I'll get that in sometime too!
9. Fit back into the heart gala dresses-Done as of the night before my birthday (really cut it close!). I'll be honest. I really can't wear them to events yet. My body has morphed some in the 6 or 7 years since I wore them last. I have muscles in places I didn't before. It's a good thing, but it means I need alterations to enjoy wearing them again. I'd rather pay for those and be a healthy girl than pay for doctor visits!
10. Help build a Habitat house-not done. I did get some emails to help with builds this month, but ran out of time.
By my count, I accomplished 70% of the list. Pretty darn good, I say! And what's not listed in these 10 are all the other things I accomplished and got to do this past year. I moved. Got a snazzy new car I love. I chaired a conference and presented at an international one. I started traveling again for fun.
And most importantly, I saw and spent time with friends and family I hadn't in recent years. And I learned a lot about myself in the process of all this. We don't ever stop growing, or stop learning. And I couldn't do that without a great network of family, friends, colleagues and acquaintances.
I guess the moral of the story is to set crazy dreams, and not be afraid to share them. You never know what you'll gain in return. Life is beautiful.

No comments:
Post a Comment