But I've been feeling lately I could be doing better on the nutritional side of the equation. Between re-reading Fit to Lead and watching the first episode of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, I was inspired to think about what other changes I could make.
I went to a reception at lunch Saturday and was hit with nothing but fried foods...and literally, felt horrible later in the day for eating them. It wasn't just my conscience...my tummy actually ached. At first, I was flustered at the lack of fruits and veggies on the menu, but the more I thought about it, it was MY choice to eat them. I could have skipped the fare and grabbed a sandwich or something else healthier after the event.
On my long walk later that day, I decided it's time for me to take control, and start my OWN revolution. No, I don't have a fryer I need to bury in the backyard, but I could make some efforts to eat more healthfully. So, here is my pledge:
Lisa's Food Revolution
- Beverages: Drink a glass of water with each meal. I don't drink enough, and I can feel that some days. Plus it is said that water helps rev the metabolism. With meals that I drink coffee or alcohol, I will drink an extra glass. And I will work to cut out soda to where it will be an occasional treat. I am on the "zero" brands now, but those have sweeteners and that's just more chemicals.
- Breakfast: I eat it everyday, which is a big plus. I will only allow myself 2 "processed" breakfasts a week (e.g. Eggos, microwave sandwiches). On days I eat a carb-based breakfast (TLC bars, toast), I will take a piece of fruit for a mid-morning snack.
- Lunch: I eat a lot of meals out due to my job and volunteer work. Fish will be my first choice of protein, followed by chicken and then veggie options. I will not eat beef unless I know it's grass-fed. I will consider other lean proteins such as bison or pork. I will have at least one green with the meal and limit bread as much as possible.
- Dinner: Same rules from lunch apply if eating out. We cook a lot at home so this is easier, but we do need to cut back on frozen pizzas...one option is to switch to more Amy's brand organic.
- Evening Snack: Same as breakfast, only 2 processed treats a week. That means it will take even longer to finish the frozen Girl Scout Tagalongs in the freezer, but hey...I'm proud that nearly 2 months later, and I've only eaten half the box so far! Freezing them really does work ;) Again, I will work to get more fruit in here as at breakfast.
- Eating Out: In addition to what I already said about my meals away from home, I would like to get to fast food & fried foods = zero. It's just not worth how yucky I feel afterwards.
- Indulgences: Any plan that does not allow for breaks will fail. I will allow myself to break these rules for special occasions. If I have a meal where I do not follow my new rules, I will get back on track the next meal, not the next day. This is a lifestyle, and life is not always perfect. I will not beat myself up for being human.
I'm also going to work to get back on track with the 200 minutes/week exercise plan in April. I was still active in March but didn't hit that mark any week (ranges were 146-178 minutes, so still not a total slouch!).
So, what changes are you making to be healthier this spring??

Sounds like a rock solid plan. Even if those changes don't reflect on the scale, on the internal level they will really help you be healthier.
ReplyDelete