Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What's healthy: Me and We time

Adam and I recently returned from our "summer" vacation...we spent 6 days back at the site of our honeymoon 10 years ago, El Dorado Royale in Puerto Morelos, Mexico (appx 30 mins south of Cancun). Though our anniversary is not until July, we have more flexible work schedules now and didn't want to mess with any threats of hurricanes.

It was absolute paradise. Not only did we have gorgeous scenery and great weather, but spending time together without the hustle and bustle of daily chores, work and other activities was such a treat. The three weeks prior to the trip were especially hectic...I am holding down two departments at work due to an unexpected vacancy, plus with trying to wrap everything up for the end of the Junior League year, get ready for the trip, study for my certification...let's just say I'm grateful Adam pitched in a lot at Casa Burns and did not complain.

I spent some time on the trip, and in the days since (I don't return to work until Wednesday) evaluating how I would handle the day to day moving forward to incorporate some aspects of the Me and We time I so enjoyed. Perhaps it was the salty air, or maybe it was after reading The Long Run about the NY fireman who recovered from a horrible bike accident to run marathons again...but something was nudging me to take a step back and think about how life is short and priorities have to be set and enforced by ME.

Typically, summer is an easier time, schedule-wise. Campus is quiet, and it tends to be our planning season for the next school year. Volunteer commitments still exist but are minimal compared to the school year due to family vacations. It made me realize if I could work so hard on all these other items, why not take this "bonus time" the next few months and work on Me/Us??

So I have recommitted myself to a fitness plan. In fact, I've already worked out 8 days straight. If I can keep it up at least through July, I'll have a new workout streak record. While on vacation, I worked out in the morning (first thing or right after breakfast) all days but two, and one of those I got an afternoon workout (the other was the day we flew in and travel took the good part of that). So as much as I hate getting up early, I'm committing to morning workouts. Already got the first one tackled today and the clothes out for tomorrow's gym trip.

I've also recommitted myself to healthier eating. Since Sunday, I've been tracking Weight Watchers points again. Right now, I'm trying to get used to writing what I bite again, but we did load up on fruit and veg on Sunday's grocery trip, and I'm doing a better job of having fruit and/or yogurt as a nighttime snack. I came back from vacation up about 4.5 pounds and have shed 1.5 in just 3 days by watching my food and exercising. (I KNEW some was bloat!)

Part of this is more meals at home...and that means cooked at home, not picked up on the way home. This is where some of that WE time comes in. With less nights out for commitments, we can plan a whole week's worth of meals together, take turns cooking them and enjoy them together. I've already cooked 3 times this week...possibly more than the rest of the month combined! And there's nothing like family time enjoying a meal together. (Not to mention...this will make leftovers for healthier lunches!)

I'm also going to cool it but not totally restrict alcohol and sweets as I had PLENTY on vacation. That was actually the point of my challenges...I wanted to go without before so I could enjoy on vacation. But it's time to get those indulgences back to what they should be...treats, not everyday menu items.

So instead of getting in shape FOR summer, I want to be in shape by the end of summer...which happens to be my next birthday. In the long run, the gift of health is the best one I can give to Me/Us. I have a good 13 weeks. Let's see what can happen! So who's with me?

4 comments:

  1. Glory - Reema and I are on Tim Ferriss' slow carb diet in prep for a July vacation to Vegas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, was wondering about her posts! I shall sit with you at AFP and we can keep each other accountable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a 21 day cleanse recently. It was eye opening- especially noticing how much of my social life was built around food and alcohol. I totally agree with making booze and sweets and carbs "sometimes" foods, but I do find it tricky with 1-2 social functions each week where it is harder to abstain...

    Didn't realize you were in Pearland. You aren't that far from me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should go back and read the ones where I gave up alcohol for Lent. Probably wouldn't believe it after the other night, but I really did it! And I agree, it is tricky with social functions.

    And nope, not that far. And also following your blog too!

    ReplyDelete