Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The best laid plans...

...are usually foiled by a return to reality. Today was my first day back to work after 2 weeks off. I was a little ready to get back to some routines and interactions with the outside world, but a little nervous about my newfound resolve to improve myself. So I made a plan.

And broke it. Adam is always telling me I like to make plans "so then I can break them."

I never intend to of course...life just gets in the way. I planned to leave at 5 today to have enough time to eat and catch an 8p yoga class. I left at 6. I was winding down about 5:15 (not far off my plan for those who know me well) then got tied up on something for one of my projects this weekend, and there went the time. I then resolved to do a yoga or pilates video at home instead. About 2 hours later after decompressing from a long day, I settled on a walk. Did a little more than 1.5 miles in 25 minutes, which for me, is a really good clip. Add some ab work into that and I proud that I didn't slip completely (I decided walking is OK if it is at a level of exertion. I was puffing, plus had to ditch gloves and earmuffs due to getting warm. Yay!).

I planned to go to the gym tomorrow morning and go into work later since I am working nearly all day Saturday. I came back to an email for a 9a meeting tomorrow. My plan at this point is an exercise video at home instead since I have volunteer work tomorrow night. I may settle for a walk again. As long as I do SOMETHING, I think the plan is not a total failure. At least the thought of planning is moving me in the right direction.

What I need to plan better is road nutrition. With two mornings in a row of not going straight to the office, I haven't been able to take my lunch. I did good to avoid french fries etc. today. I'll have to try again tomorrow, perhaps for a salad instead of just a sandwich. This is probably going to be the hardest part of the 2010 Plan. I eat out a lot for work and with the volunteer schedule I have for the short-term. I have to make the best choices I can, even if they aren't always fun. 'Cause I want to be fun for a lot more years to come.

Off to redo tomorrow's to-do list and reconfigure what didn't happen today...at least today tipped towards success (albeit altered) than failure on my plan.

2 comments:

  1. Baby steps sweetie, that's all I have to say...baby steps...just build up a little bit more everyday....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. I'm just happy to be making progress most days! Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete