Friday, January 1, 2010

Plan for a New Year

New Year's is a great time to re-evaluate goals. This year, instead of calling my goals "resolutions," I am setting my 2010 Plan. Here's what I will work to achieve this year:

  1. Running: Last year, I set out to run a 10k, which I did on Thanksgiving. This year, I want to run more 10ks. My ultimate goal is to run a 10 miler in 2010. I'm targeting one in Clear Lake in October. This gives me 9 months to train...which is realistic considering I will still have a full work & volunteer plate, at least for the first half of the year. I also ran my first 5k in 2008...so this is a nice increase of about 3 miles per year for racing. If this works, I'll target a half marathon for 2011.
  2. Staying active: I'm going to continue the theme from 2009 of trying to be active everyday, with the 65 day off allowance for account for illness, injury or just plain crazy days. I'm going to add a caveat, however. I want to log 200 minutes of exercise a week, actual exercise I plan, not just walks to meetings across campus :) Real Age says we need to get at least 80 mins of intense exercise (cardio or weights) a week to keep visceral fat (the kind around internal organs) away. I figure to lose weight, I need to up this, and the 200 is a good almost 30 mins a day average. Days I will run or lift, I know I'll get more in, so it should work itself out.
  3. Eating: I'm going to get back to writing down what I eat most days, no matter how bad it is :) I'm hopeful this will keep me more accountable.
  4. Professionally: I want to become a Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE). The test is offered quarterly. I likely won't test until the second half of this year, but feel this would be a great time to earn certification, as I passed the 5 years consecutive fundraising experience mark in 2009 and qualify in all the other areas as well: amount raised for organizations, community service, etc. (Though I've been fundraising for more than 8 years, I did take a brief break to finish my grad coursework and went back to newspapers to do so.)
I do want to continue the other themes discussed in my 2009 review, such as balance, making time for family, etc. but these cover the major milestones I will work towards this year. So what's your 2010 Plan?? Let's share and keep each other accountable...happy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment