I'm lucky that my massage therapist is also a runner. That way, he could tell me stories of his running buddies who refused to rest, needed surgery, and had to sit out SIX MONTHS. When you put it that way, his advice not to run for at least 4 weeks is not so bad.
I've gotten some Doc Scholl's inserts specifically for heel pain and PF that are helping a lot in my dress shoes and in my cross training. I was encouraged to keep up my walking, Wii, elliptical and weight lifting (especially since my weak calves are likely the root of all this), so that's promising.
I will admit, I was a little bummed I won't be running the Rodeo 10k (though, I might be able to walk it if I keep "heeling"). Instead, I took it as opportunity to focus on the Bayou City Classic in March. I was waffling between which race to do anyway. I know I can do a 10k with little training as I did in November, but I'd like to train for at least a week or two if I can.
If not, there are plenty more races this spring, and the goal of the 10 miler this fall. It's hard, but I have to keep the big picture in mind. In the meantime, I'm going to take this as a challenge to be active in different ways and build my muscles. It reminds me of my toe injury last summer...which forced me to appreciate being active at all.
After all, perception is reality, right?

No comments:
Post a Comment