I started slow Friday night with stationary cycle and most of my weights routine (I'm still a little slow to put all the leg weights back in due to the strain). It felt good, good enough to want to take a Zumba class Saturday. It was great but it kicked my butt! It was almost like hot yoga! (Which by the way, I think I'll go back to on Sunday, and just omit any moves that hurt my foot too much.)
Random passing thoughts tend to roam my brain during these workouts, and one was the realization that next week, I'm only out on the town one night. So besides working the basketball game today and going in tomorrow to do paperwork, I have a lighter schedule again. The rest of the month is not too bad...maybe 2 nights a week out, and a few things scattered on the weekends.
This got me thinking it's time to take advantage of this lull and get back to basics. I need to re-implement what worked so well in late December and January:
- Eating more fruits & veggies. Remember my nothing but fruit & veg after dinner rule? That went by the wayside fast with the schedule. And also, I need to stop eating dessert at all these catered functions I'm attending. Sure, it may be tasty, but is it worth the sweat later? Between that and the yummy cheesecake I made, it's no wonder I'm a little bloated this week. Dessert should be like what eating out was when I was growing up: for special occasions and to be savored.
- Getting serious workouts in. Walking will go back to the last resort workout. It would be nice if I didn't take any more days off this month. The 6 for the year is not bad, but I want to save up "off" days for later in the year when I'll be busier again. I plan to get back to yoga, elliptical, weights and eventually, running (right now, I can stand about 5 minutes a week broken up into intervals). I have 7 weeks until the next race.
- Focusing on a good night's sleep. I've been slacking in this department too. The recent allergy bout reminded me I'm best on 8 hours a night. I will work to manage my time better to make this a priority.
And that's just the health and fitness goals. With more free time this month, I need to tend to items at Casa Burns again (especially the taxes!).
Sometimes, the ebb and flow of life amazes me. I must remind myself that we all have a certain amount of control over it, and for the rest, just go with it and enjoy the ride.

No comments:
Post a Comment