Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Off the sauce ... for now

After discussion of what I should give up for Lent generated 73 comments on my Facebook status the other night (possibly my most prolific post yet), I decided it was only fair to let everyone know what I picked and how I got there.

I have given up alcohol for Lent. No booze until April 24. I know, shocking! While I'm not really someone that goes overboard, I do enjoy a good glass of wine or a mixed drink, and with my work and social schedule of late, it's been more nights a week on than off. One has to think that may have a cumulative effect.

So as Mardi Gras approached, and my schedule began easing (the only night planned out this week being Fat Tuesday itself), I started thinking again on how I could continue to focus on my quest for health and well-being. I realized though raised as a Catholic, I have not given up anything for Lent in many years. I think my last true Lenten observance was 6 years ago, when I read The Purpose Driven Life each day.

So what to give up? Giving up something for Lent is supposed to be a true sacrifice, not something easy that you won't miss. And then it hit me.

Alcohol. THAT would be a challenge.

So I started testing it out and telling those closest to me on Monday. They were a bit surprised, and I think intrigued too. I started outlining the many reasons/benefits that were piling up in my brain:
  • I bet it will help with my weight loss. It will help me cut back on empty calories. Maybe this is why it's been so hard to lose.
  • It might help me sleep better.
  • It will help with my 10k training.
  • It will save me money.
  • It will help keep me from eating the wrong stuff, which I tend to do once I've had a drink or two.
  • It's a convenient time of year to try it. Many people give up something this time of year. Less peer pressure!
  • And finally, I'm just curious to see if I CAN. If I could work out for 62 days straight, surely I can do this for 46?
Yes, I admit, it wasn't religious reasons, but health reasons (and just plain spite) that pushed me over. Because I briefly debated giving up sweets instead. Sure, those are empty calories too. So why not sweets? Because I don't have them often enough to be a true sacrifice. And if presented with a plate of cookies or a glass of wine, I can have one cookie and stop. I can't just have one sip of wine. It would feel weird and wasteful.

In making my choice, I carefully thought through my schedule for this month (the halfway point). There's pretty much an event or two a week that involve alcohol. But I plan to enjoy the activities without it. I'll probably even paint a better piece of pottery next week!

This got me thinking that it might be too easy for me as an adult to reach for a tasty beverage in a social situation, without thinking if I really want/need it. There's nothing wrong with having them, and I don't want anyone to think I'm judging since I'm often in that camp. But I've decided to treat this as a little experiment ... what if I just focus on interactions with friends and colleagues at these events, rather than the beverages? How will the experience be different? As long as I'm enjoying myself and the company, I'm predicting the activities will still be fun. Maybe this will also help me be more selective of how to spend my free time and help ease the overflowing plate.

Because after all, it's all about the relationships in our life. And I'm just taking a small break from mine with alcohol to focus on the one I have with my health. It will be interesting to see what the end result will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment