Since it would practically be a book if I waited until Easter, I decided to post in phases. So here's the first third:
Day 1-Had a tough day at work, and by 3 p.m. I was already questioning my pledge and resolve. The more I thought about it, I was really just tired. Though when I got home, I noticed a few bottles of wine in the fridge that will go bad by Easter as they are sweeter wines than Adam likes. Probably would have had one glass that night.
Day 2-I am already noticing a reduction in the redness (think rosacea) on my face. Does alcohol really affect me that severely? Met my buddy Felicia for happy hour and the employee at Chacho's looked at me like I was crazy when I didn't order a drink. I would have had a frozen Jack and Coke. Skipped drink count to date = 2.
Day 3-Leadership Houston class day, which always ends with happy hour. Enjoyed club soda with lime. It was fizzy and festive enough. My not drinking offered solidarity to another classmate who is pregnant and almost didn't come to happy hour since she couldn't drink. Also noticed I felt more engaged in conversations. Afterwards, made a better dinner choice of a salad...probably would have gotten a burger or something fried otherwise. Also learned that my friends are closely following my adventure and that it is making them think about their experiences with alcohol. Skipped drinks to date = 4.
Day 4-Went to Easter Seals crawfish boil with Adam. Actually had 2 charity event options that day, but Tequila Throwdown would have just been too much to bear. This was the first time I truly missed a drink as a beer would have been nice to quench the saltiness of the crawfish. This is the day Adam first points out that I am likely substituting sweets for alcohol. It was a nice night, weather wise, and thought about wine on the patio, which I also missed. Skipped drinks total = 6.
Day 5-Put in almost a full day at the office, even though it was Sunday. As I walked to my car, realized I'd normally reward myself with wine for working so hard. I found this interesting as I've heard of people using food as a reward. Instead, I put Crystal Light tea in a wine glass, which was delicious. Skipped total = 7.
Day 6-Home sick with allergies and a dentist appointment. Did not feel like eating much, so it was easy not to crave anything with dinner. I even skipped brownies afterwards!
Day 7-Did not even think about drinks today, but did have to start turning down offers of drinks at the rodeo for the coming weekend.
Day 8-Pottery night with the girls. The bottle of wine on the table wasn't even a temptation as I was too zoned in on my painting. Remarked at the irony there was a glass or two left in it at the end of the night.
Day 9-St. Patty's Day, but this was not a problem as we hadn't been out since '08 (though this was the day I attended rodeo in '10). However, when I got home, I would have loved to have a drink and nap...instead, have a cupcake (green velvet and my first sweets since Sunday) and a gym trip. What a great swap!
Day 10-Rodeo round 1. Big props to my buddy Jose, who showed solidarity and also did not drink...if we would have drank, we'd have likely split a bottle of wine. It was VERY interesting to observe others' behavior sober! Feeling very alert even after a busy week. Skipped drink count = 9.
Day 11-Rodeo round 2, the full day. Apparently, I missed out on something called milk punch (offered twice), as well as mimosas and other drinks. Determined that I skipped 5 drink options over the course of the 12 hours. Susan and I splurged instead on fried sweets (I had a snickers) and funnel cake. Skipped total = 14.
Day 12-Despite eating like a pig Friday and Saturday, gained no weight! Felt a bit tired but recovered quicker than if I'd been hungover. Might have had a glass of wine on the the patio this evening...had a hard time unwinding today. Skipped total = 15.
Day 13-Off work today. I'm down 1.4 pounds from last week! Loaded up on water and iced tea, then noticed craving a glass of wine in the evening just for a different flavor. Had some lime LaCroix instead which knocked out bubbly and sweet at once. Skipped total = 16.
Day 14-Long stressful day making up from being off the day before (hello 70 emails!). Would have had wine when I got home but went for a walk instead. Skipped total = 17.
Day 15-This was the hardest day yet. Was in meetings nearly all day. This led to scarfing 3 orange rolls at my dinner meeting! First time in two weeks I felt regret at my pledge. Would have had wine when I got home. Skipped total = 18.
Day 16-Skipped champagne at tonight's meeting. And after consuming a very large cupcake after lunch, decide it's time to give sweets the boot...at least during the week. I am likely undoing the benefits of skipping alcohol calories and eating more sweets than I usually do. Find it interesting that when you take one vice away, another can creep in. Vow to try not to have sweets for at least a week and see how I feel. Skipped total = 19.
So what have I learned so far?
- If you add up 19 drinks for at least 100 calories each, I've lost at least half a pound just by not drinking. And the other pound I lost is probably from better food choices (save the sweets) and more consistent exercising.
- I find it easy to crave an adult beverage when stressed or tired. I've started substituting exercise in more.
- I attend a lot of meetings and social functions where alcohol is present. Therefore, even if I reduce my consumption once Lent is done (versus resuming normal levels), I will still need to work at holding back.
- I'm probably noticing the drinks I've "skipped" because I am thinking about it more. I probably don't crave drinks this often usually...maybe it's withdrawals?
It will be interesting to see what the next two weeks bring. Rodeo was a big challenge, but I'm proud I stuck to my guns.

No comments:
Post a Comment